Wednesday 13 August 2014

Playing with flour



For me art is often an opportunity for play, and although as children we get a great level of time and space for playing, as adults we are limited. Prescribed games do not reach our imaginations in the same organic way as playing with a new material. As someone brought up in the countryside this kind of playing with materials brings me back to my childhood, using natural materials as props for my own imagination.

Having explored with poppy seeds and tea, I was curious to find a white material to achieve a certain calmness. So the material ended up being flour, reminding me of snow. It was something completely new to explore with and I found it very therapeutic.

I used the natural forms I have accumulated to draw with along with my hands. Just playing with no end product. Definitely something I am intrigued to work more with.


 www.sophieerin.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment